Product Feedback

Welcome to the Ideas @ Rackspace Cloud site! We would love to hear from you, so please submit your ideas and suggestions below!

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Implement SMS as a Monitoring Notification.

Allow a customer to set a phone number as a destination of an alert.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      8 comments  ·  Cloud Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Let me download monitoring data

Let me download monitoring data in say, CSV format for further analysis. The graphs provided in the control panel only give a rough view and it would be nice to have the figures behind these graphs available.

12 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Cloud Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is definitely something we’re planning to do. Metrics data is already exposed in JSON format by our API today, but current you have to periodically crawl every metric individually. Bulk downloading will make this a lot easier and is on our roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Support aggregate cloud monitoring entities

Right now, cloud monitoring entities are very "cloud server"-centric. A common situation is a cloud application which runs on several servers, each of which collects the same metrics. It would be nice to easily combine these metrics into one "virtual entity" for monitoring. The virtual entity would contain metrics which are aggregates of metrics on other entities. A few functions like average, median, sum, and min/max would probably suffice but obviously there are many more possibilities.

Obviously it is possible to do this in the application which consumes the monitoring data but it seems cleaner to keep this in the…

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Default Monitoring Checks for all new Servers

I would love to set default monitoring checks for all servers because it is annoying to manually configure every new server on provisioning.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Cloud Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Cloud monitoring for Load Balancer

There should be a way to know do a health check of LB (not the nodes). It will help us switching the LB in case the LB is down itself.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Cloud Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create a "Monitoring Contact" Contact Type for Monitoring Checks

I have set up monitoring checks to run on our Rackspace cloud server. I would like to know immediately if our server or service is down in any way. I have a technical email contact set up to go to a listserve on our email server, which sends out text notifications to our smart phones, day or night. And as of right now, you are only given the opportunity to Send Alarms to "Technical Contacts - Email". Unfortunately, Technical Contacts also get marketing information and other non-critical information any time of the day or night. This causes a problem because…

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Cloud Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow for email notifications on a per-server basis

I strongly recommend that you allow for email notifications on a per-server basis for your cloud monitoring If you had that feature you could definitely sell a lot more monitoring since your customers who use Rackspace for web hosting could pass on the cost and better serve their customers. Our customers often ask to be personally notified by email if there is a problem with their server. At present we cannot provide that service as it would be too time consuming. For this reason the way server monitoring works now (only one email address for all servers) makes it impractical…

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Remove swap space from memory monitoring alerts

The memory monitoring alerts appear to include swap space, but the dashboard graphs do not. Please resolve this difference. It's confusing. I'd prefer if the monitoring alerts didn't include swap space.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the response!

You are right that the chart for Memory Utilization is using “used” and the alarm criteria is using “actual_used”. I’ll talk to the control panel team to see if there is any particular reason for using “used” metrics.

You can edit the alarm criteria to use “used” if you prefer. We have configured it to use “actual_used” by default because the most operating systems will make use of otherwise used memory.

For detail about memory check and metrics, please see documentation here:

http://docs.rackspace.com/cm/api/v1.0/cm-devguide/content/appendix-check-types-agent.html#section-ct-agent.memory

• Implement Twilio Integration

Similar to the available PagerDuty integration, it would be nice to see a more cost effective solution directly integrated that would allow alerts to go out to twilio to then trigger alert phone calls.

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

We are looking into SMS notification to work out the details.

If I understand you correctly, this is a bit different integration. You will set up Twilio as the notification type and provide the API key. Then Cloud Monitoring will make the API call and you will pick up the bills.

Is that correct? If you have more than one member on the team, how would you set it up?

Great idea, thanks!

• Robust Cloud Monitoring control panel

We'd love to see a more robust Cloud Monitoring control panel to more closely mirror the functionality that is available via the API. Even if it's very basic for a while, that'd be better than what is there now. Ideally, it should mirror some of what is offered in your CloudKick offering (which is what we're currently using).

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Tom,

We couldn’t agree more! We’re working to add support for much more of our existing API, in addition to the upcoming agent and metrics features which will help get functionality similar to what we offered in Cloudkick. Let us know if you’ve got any other feedback!

Thanks,
                        Russell

• Test multiple checks/entities on a single API Call

Check test requests tend to take anywhere from 2-5 seconds to complete. When sequentially processing 500 servers with 5 checks each, we're looking at anywhere from 16+ to 40+ minutes of HTTP request processing, which makes little practical sense. Even when using multiple threads, this type of performance is limiting.

Is there a way to perform a test for multiple checks for a given entity using a single API call? Even better, is there a way to test multiple checks for multiple entities using a single API call?

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We usually hesitant to expose bulk operations in our API, as it is difficult to handle failure scenarios in a way that makes sense for everyone. In general we consider it preferable to parallelize these sorts of operations client-side. Obviously that isn’t always possible (ie, in a web browser which automatically limits parallel HTTP requests), so we may eventually implement this, but it isn’t planned for the immediate future.

If you’d like to discuss your use case more don’t hesitate to comment here.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Make it possible to add external monitored sites/servers via Cloud Control Panel

I know it's possible to add externally monitored servers or sites to Cloud Monitoring via the API, but it would be helpful to be able to do this via the web interface as well.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make the memory & file utilization reports show a rolling week, like the CPU utilization report

Currently memory and file utilization reports only show 6 hours of data, while the CPU utilization reports show a rolling week. The week is very helpful; 6 hours less so. Would be even nicer to have a date picker (as suggested by someone else too).

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

©2014 Rackspace, US Inc. About Rackspace | Fanatical Support® | Hosting Solutions | Investors | Careers | Privacy Statement | Website Terms | Sitemap